The 2011 judges panel for The Caine Prize for African Writing was chaired by award-winning Libyan novelist Hisham Matar. Joining him were Granta deputy editor Ellah Allfrey, Georgetown University Professor of English David Gewanter, publisher, film and travel writer Vicky Unwin, and the award-winning author Aminatta Forna.
126 qualifying stories were submitted from 17 African countries and the panel announced the following 5 authors for the shortlist:
- NoViolet Bulawayo (Zimbabwe), Hitting Budapest
- Beatrice Lamwaka (Uganda), Butterfly Dreams
- Tim Keegan (South Africa), What Molly Knew
- Lauri Kubuitsile (Botswana), In the Spirit of McPhineas Lata
- David Medalie (South Africa), The Mistress’s Dog
This anthology is a co-publishing arrangement between The Caine Prize for African Writing, New Internationalist, Cassava Republic in Nigeria, Jacana Media in South Africa and Kwani Trust in Kenya.